In the previous podcast, Chris talked about the challenges and obstacles he faced after shutting down his successful counseling practice to move his wife and children cross-country to the family farm and launch a private coaching practice.
Shortly after relocating, Chris was struck by a debilitating illness that took years to diagnose. He entered a “dark night of the soul” that took a toll on both he and his family. But instead of allowing difficult circumstances to harden their hearts, they served to strengthen their faith and resolve. During these difficult years, God inscribed valuable life lessons on Chris’ heart, which he shares with us today.
Chris identifies five critical beliefs that shaped his life and decisions during these years:
- Discern your life’s call and listen to the song of your heart.
- Count the cost and do your due diligence when launching your coaching business and in honoring your values.
- Commit for the long haul. After putting your hand to the plow, resist the temptation to look back (Luke 9:62).
- Persevere through the dark times and allow nothing to deter you from God’s plan and purpose for you, both personally and professionally.
- Work creatively and collaboratively. Say, “Lord, show me something fresh here.” Ask, “Collaboratively, who else can help me?”
How might these key takeaways mold your life and coaching practice?
If after listening to today’s broadcast, you’re asking yourself, “So, what’s next?” or “How can I do a similar examination of my life and priorities?” download the “Align Your Life Inventory” for free. Just go to our website, ProfessionalChristianCoachingToday.com, and enter your name and email below the masthead. Signing up for this free resource will also add you to our mailing list and keep you up-to-date on new topics and podcasts.
Until next time, keep Raising the Standard and Changing the World!